Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Adirondack Hiking and Pickerel (May 2018)



For Mother's Day, I visited my parent's cabin in the Adirondacks.  I'm convinced my Mom (a serious outdoorswoman) enjoys out-hiking my sister and I a few times each year. 

Despite United Airlines' best efforts to keep me in DC, I arrived at the cabin early Saturday morning.  I had a blast catching up with my folks, hearing about my sister's upcoming wedding, and of course...eating dust behind my Mom on the way up a pine-covered Adirondack peak. 

Paradox Lake - my Mecca


For Jake E. and me, spring in the Adirondacks also means pike/pickerel fishing.  These aggressive, sharp-toothed fish take to shallow weeds for the spring spawn.  Kayaking deep into grassy, flooded shorelines and throwing topwater flies (frogs, poppers) evokes explosive, angry hits.

While much larger Northern Pike do prowl the shallows this time of year, our action came from Southern Pike (also known as Chain Pickerel).  Identify a Chainy by its square pattern and black teardrop below the eye.

We used kayaks to sneak up on grassy shallows.


Locally tied in DC -- devoured in NY

 A medium-sized chain pickerel (note pattern and teardrop)

 A larger fellow





 Despite the occasional reading break, Hannah is a badass fisherwomen...known to land large stripers with light rods. 



 Getting a tow home at sunset

No comments:

Post a Comment